- Back to Home »
- Only God Forgives
Only God Forgives is a 2013 French-Danish co-production crime thriller film written and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, starringRyan Gosling, Kristin Scott Thomas, and Vithaya Pansringarm. The film was shot on location in Bangkok, Thailand. It was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.
- Ryan Gosling as Julian Thompson, an American who lives in Bangkok and "is a respected figure in the criminal underworld" according to a production synopsis. Gosling was in negotiations to star in the film in June 2011 after Luke Evans dropped out due to scheduling conflicts with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Gosling had undertakenMuay Thai training in preparation for the role by that September, which included 2–3 hour daily sessions. Refn also participated in the training. Gosling and Refn had recently worked together on the neo-noir crime drama Drive (2011).
- Kristin Scott Thomas as Crystal Thompson, Julian's mother, who is described as "a merciless and terrifying mafia godmother" combining elements of Lady Macbeth and Donatella Versace. Scott Thomas was cast by May 2011.
- Vithaya Pansringarm as Lt. Chang, a man that believes himself to be "God". Pansringarm did his own thai boxing and singing for his role.
- Rhatha Phongam (Yaya-Ying) as Mai, a prostitute associated with Julian
- Gordon Brown as Gordon, Julian and Billy's lieutenant. Brown earlier played a walk-on role in Refn's Bronson and a supporting part in Valhalla Rising.
- Tom Burke as Billy Thompson, Julian's brother
- Byron Gibson as Byron
- Danai Thiengdham as Li Po
- Sahajak Boonthanakit as Pol Col. KIM
- Nophand Boonyai as Charlie
- Teerawat Mulvilai as Ko Sam
- Kovit Wattanakul as Choi Yan Lee
- Wittchuta Watjanarat as Ma Fong